Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Another One Bites the Dust



The tally mark of unfortunates continues to lengthen. This time being one of the few facets of life that we took for granted, knowing that it was safe to take for granted. The economic downturn has yet again struck, sffecting the media outlet market along with everything else. Just over a month ago, Rocky Mountain News published its last publication in late Feburary. The Denver based publications' fairly new absense leaves only one news publications in all of Denver that is home to nearly 555,000 folks.


ENOUGH ALREADY!

Not I see why there is an internal war going on in the world of journalism. There are those who claim to be hard nosed journalist who are only concerned with NEWS. And in this corner there are those who are frowned upon by those journalist who could give a sh!# about Barack and his bailout plans because they're more concerned about Brittney's mental meltdown or how Branjolina's status. My only question is where is the motivation? The Drive? or the Will Power to suceed? Sure the economy makes for an uphill battle to move forward, but there are those who WILL, and simply those who won't. Creativity is the best tool to have in this business and its lacking, many publications beat the dead horse of the failing economy until, the horse eventually beat them. News has become predictable, how can an element be predictable when it's almost never known what the subject of a story will be the next day?
I do not fault the economy, nor do I fault the new age of technology that reigns upon us, I fault complacency in the workforce. I look around my weekly Monday 8am JMC 201: Media Writing lecture and I silently applaud. I applaud myself for fighting through the sleep, I applaud my classmates for there is not a significant dropoff in attendance each week. I applaud my professor and TA's alike for their devotion and motivation on molding the next generation to save a sinking ship.
When I was a child, my mother used to tell me, if at first you don't suceed, learn from your shortcomings and conqour. At that time I was far too young to understand but now, when the situation has presented itself, here I am, facing the so-called inevitable collapse of the journalist world. Still an intended Journalism and Mass Communications major, with aspirations of prospering in the field. I know I alone can't save print journalism, but the mindset I have, instilled in those nation, and worldwide that still believe that print journalism can restablish itself as one of life's givens.

No comments:

Post a Comment