Saturday, April 11, 2009


Writing a news story about struggling newspapers seems pretty odd to me. Usually, it is the newspapers writing stories about other struggling industries, but not this time. I can't seem to wrap my mind around the idea of newspapers cutting costs and employment like the East Valley Tribune in Phoenix is doing.

CNNMoney.com says in January, East Valley converted from seven-day paid newspapers to a four times a week free paper and expanded web presence. The paper cut about 40% of their employees, too. Detroit free press and Detroit News are also cutting down on deliveries to only three days a week.

I know that the internet is becoming a big part of our lives, as much as we like that idea or not. I didn't think that the newspaper industry would fail to keep up with the technological change either. I did not consider that the two would have to compete.

I read a blog created about two years ago, that asked if newspapers are going to die soon. The author stated that consultant Vin Crosbie predicts that the newspaper industry will undergo serious changes or will face the "chopping block". Someone who commented on this blog stated that this whole process is like "television being the death of radio, or the cell phone being the death of home phones. Sure there will be a definite shift in the medium, but each medium has its benefits and serves different purposes." I think he is right.

I hope that the print newspapers pull through on this. I agree with the comment relating to the blog. People are scared that tradition will be lost by these new (and to some people mysterious) changes.


-Katelyn Fogle

2 comments:

  1. That is absolutely true, video killed the radio star, and I never even thought about cell phones being convicted of murdering home phones. I can even recall me saying that I wouldn't have a house phone, only a cell phone in the future. I too, as I mentioned in my own blog do not see the logic in publications faithfully writing about the longevity of print coming dangerously close to its end. I am wondering which is the more powerful force behind this transformation in leading media outlets. Is it solely the technological advancemetnts? Or the unfortunate economic state we are currently facing.
    I consider myself as a tradition type of guy, I would love to see the print world pull through this, I wouldn't still be an intended Print JMC major if I felt otherwise. But regardless of the direction that the Print world will go, up and continue its return to prominence, or face a sad sad demise to our memories and archives. But what I do know is the convergence to online media outlets does satisfy the world's growing need for GREEN alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you related the demise of the newspaper towards the home phone and cell phone as well as the video and radio. I tried to touch base a little bit on this in my own blog post. I've read the Vin Crosbie blog before too.
    Traditions can trump a lot of things so I don't see the complete removal of the print press anytime soon. However I can see it happening within the next 20 years. 20 years might be enough time for older generations to get used to newer technologies.
    I didn't predict the internet taking over anything really when it first came out, but now most people can't go a day without interacting in some way online. Maybe this is just a sign of how everyone's lives will be in the future? The TV informs but doesn't leave much room for interactivity.... that's the internets job.

    ReplyDelete